It's an emergency
Your pet rabbit has been chewing the electric wires again. Suddenly all the lights go out, and Nibbles has stopped moving and is now lying flat on her side.
There’s no time to rush to the vets - you need to act now.
What do you do?
Well, those with first aid training know that you absolutely must not pick up the injured bunny until you are certain the electricity is off, in case you electrocute yourself.
The fact the lights have gone off is a strong clue that the fuses have done their thing, but it’s still best to start by switching off all electricity at the fuse box, or at least disconnecting the cable Nibbles was chewing from its supply.
Push the cable away from Nibble’s mouth using something wooden, not metal, so no electricity goes through your own hand to knock you flat.
Now you can safely touch Nibbles, and check if there is a heartbeat. If not, you should start cardiac massage.
All of these skills and many more can be learnt at one of my pet first aid courses.
We cover the detail of how to perform cardiac massage on a pet, which is quite different from how it’s done for people.
We discuss the actions to take after a road traffic accident, for broken bones, damaged spines and eyes, and cuts and bleeding.
If you would like to attend a pet first aid course, they take just ninety minutes of your time, and cost only £24. Our next course is on Monday 7th February at 6.30pm, in central Haywards Heath.
Alternatively, if you are a person taking responsibility for other people's dogs, you may prefer our more extensive course for canine professionals. This includes hands-on practical sessions, and an examination at the end to confirm understanding. The next one is on Monday 24th January at 6.30pm, and takes 3 hours, costing £66.
To find out more go to themewesvets.co.uk/events. Places must be booked and paid for at least 7 days in advance. To book email email@example.com or call my friendly team on 01444 456886.
6th January 2022
Category: Practice news